· The term passive house (Passivhaus in German) refers to the rigorous, voluntary, Passivhaus standard for energy efficiency in a building, reducing its ecological footprint.
· It results in ultra-low energy buildings that require little energy for space heating or cooling.
· A similar standard, MINERGIE-P, is used in Switzerland.
· The standard is not confined to residential properties; office buildings, schools, kindergartens and supermarkets can also been constructed to the standard.
· Passive design is not an attachment or supplement to architectural design, but a design process that is integrated with architectural design.
· Although it is mostly applied to new buildings, it can be used very successfully for renovations.